Sunday, January 10, 2010

Saturday road ride

It's been a while since I've done a long road ride, so it felt great to get out for 3 hours on Saturday. It was 21° F when I started, yet I stayed warm the entire ride with the exception of my left foot, which for some reason went numb (right foot was fine). I tried loosening my buckle to allow better circulation, but that didn't help. I think I'm going to have to purchase some new neoprene toe covers as mine are worn through on the bottom. I ended up duct taping the vent holes and that certainly helped. I figure with some new toe covers plus some Craft 3mm neoprene booties over top will do the trick. With this setup, I'll hopefully need only one pair of Smartwool socks, leaving more room inside my shoe.

Here's the map of my ride:


I wasn't planning on climbing the south side of Suncrest at the end of the ride, but I ended up meeting and riding with a cool guy named Davie (like Davie Crocket) while riding through Alpine and he convinced me to ride to the top with him. It's amazing how much more fun it is to ride with someone versus solo. Davie told me how he's a trail runner but had to give up running and took up cycling due to issues with his IT band. He said he likes cycling but would rather run any day. I don't get how one could prefer running over cycling, but I felt bad that he had to give up his favorite activity.

No comments: