Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Prolytes: this stuff works

I've had issues with cramping up in the past.  Like last year on the 1,000 Warriors Race when both quads locked up so hard I nearly fell of the bike and then as recently as a several weeks ago while pre-riding the PCP2P course, both hamstrings locked up.  Anyone that has experienced severe cramping during a race can attest that they can essentially end your day once they set in.

I was in the LBS and they recommended I try Prolytes, which is a concentrated liquid solution of the electrolytes potassium, sodium, magnesium, chloride and sulfate.  The directions say to mix Prolytes with your water or sports drink and I'm sure that works fine (I need to try it out), but I was told you could also simply squirt a few drops under your tongue, which appealed to me as I would rather not be mixing, measuring, etc. more than I have to.

The real test came for me a few weekends ago when I was fatigued and struggling up the south side of the Nebo Loop with the sun beating down on me and I was sweating profusely.  I started to feel the cramping coming on.  I immediately popped out the Prolytes bottle and squirted a few drops under my tongue.  Seriously, I'm not kidding you, within a matter seconds the cramping subsided and I continued on without any further problems.  Since that ride, I've been using it routinely on my long rides and I haven't had even a hint of cramping.

So there you go.  Try it out and see for yourself.  Hopefully it works for you too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gotta get me some... Will it make me faster ?...you know, to keep up with you...