Friday, August 21, 2009

1,000 warriors race

I'm at work thinking about my first "real" bike race that's tomorrow. The "1,000 Warriors" race is the same course that the Tour of Utah pro riders will race later in the day. It's 96 miles starting in Park City, climbing over the Alpine Loop, Suncrest and then finishing at Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon. It should be a fun and difficult ride. The trick I'm thinking is to leave enough in the gas tank for the last brutal climb up to Snowbird.

I upgraded my wheels to Rev-22s by Revolution Wheelworks, which pretty much dropped a whole pound from bike's weight.
I'm anxious to see how they improve my time on climbs. A whole pound may seem insignificant, but back in July I did a demo on a pair of Bontrager Race X Lite wheels and that alone knocked off 2+ minutes on a 40 minute climb. Later I found out the bike shop accidentally mounted 25s instead 23s on those demo wheels, so in reality, the comparable time would have been even faster.

The biggest thing on my mind about this race is proper hydration. It's supposed to be 102 tomorrow and I sweat heavily, so I'll need to really watch that I don't get dehydrated.

If you happen to see the race go by, look for me in my Omniture team kit. There will be 8 or 9 of us from Omniture in my start group of 50.

2 comments:

Darci said...

That sounds really intense. I would probably pass out after the 3rd mile in that weather. That is awesome you doing the race! I am looking forward to hearing how it went.

p.s. Are the lime green walls the color of the walls at your work? If so, that is awesome.

bjchild said...

Yes, those are the walls at work. It's "Omniture Green"